OCD Forums  

Go Back   OCD Forums > OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder) self-help > Sufferers' lounge
Home Forum Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Sufferers' lounge General self-help and discussion about OCD

Old 11-05-2011, 07:34 PM

Thank you so much, this has help me lots!
Old 01-08-2012, 05:41 AM

I am not new to this site but it has been a long time since I posted. My ocd thoughts about wanting to be a nun have come back a lot the past few months. I just needed to talk as my anxiety is bad right now. The thing about this obcession is it seems to be the one that hittest me the most. I HATE the thought of having to be a nun. I just wanted to to know if anyone else has ever had this similar obsession or had an obession that was nearly always at the centre of their ocd...I will be okay it helps to know that their are other people like me. Just needed to write.
Old 02-25-2012, 05:00 PM

In response to the list of the things we're Not supposed to do I must say that Reassurance (maybe not constant) - but reassurance, none the less, helped me cope with my OCD for years. I'll give you an example. I felt so much guilt over a "harm" related incident. My therapist reassured me that the violent thoughts and urges that popped into my mind were out of my control. Just knowing this fact took a tremendous burden of guilt away from me. What worked for me for years was to have a few 'catch-phrases' that I could use as comebacks to the OCD accusatory voice. Unfortunately what worked for so long doesn't seem to be working now.
Old 03-04-2012, 05:15 PM

wow

Good grief, I thought that I had written that original post. I have never met another person with this same obsession about wanting to become a nun. It is truly awful because it stops me doing or committing to anything else, such. As the things I want to commit to like a relationship.

Spike warning coming up..

But my thoughts tell me that this is the way life wants me to go, a kind of 'gods will, not mine' sort of thing, even though I am a buddhist and don't believe in God I still have this thought that it is my 'karma' or destiny or something. But honestly all I have ever wanted is to have a happy relationship and a kid or two. I am very depressed at the moment with all this stuff, so much so that I am off work with stress and depression. I keep thinking 'well maybe the fact that I can't cope with my job is tellin gme that I should become a nun' and that 'this being off work is karma / god / life's way of opening the opportunity for me, etc etc... Help
Old 03-08-2012, 07:07 PM

Thank you for taking the time to write on the site, your work is helpful and reassuring.
Old 08-02-2012, 10:30 AM
Assistant Administrator

one of our forum members, americana, has made the following webssite and I think it is great so I am adding it here:
http://www.oceanofocd.com/videos.html
Old 08-03-2012, 10:50 AM

Im new here too.with my ocd I win some battles and lose others.what an exausting disorder.lol
Old 08-10-2012, 10:00 PM

Diagnosis

How do they perform the diagnosis?
How long does it take for the diagnosis ??
Thanks a lot for the information
Old 08-28-2012, 07:06 PM

My name is Jake and I'm 16. My story is when I was 15 I got involved in my first serious relationship, I know it's young but I still went a head and got involved. I truly fell in love with this girl and I lost my virginity to her over time. We lasted for about 3 months until one day I was devastated to find out she was cheating on me, and when I say devastated I mean like sobbing uncontrollably, suicidal thoughts, and over all just pain and grief. Well after that I took a break from dating and didn't date for about 7 months, during this time I achieved my drivers licenses, and was becoming very successful and OCD free. Unfortunately over the years I had bouts with OCD (Obsessions about: dying, hand washing, choking on food, separation, and constantly obsessed with if I was developing cancer). Well I eventually had beat it for good and thought I was okay, then I started dating a girl this past summer. She and I lasted a week because one I didn't know her that well and found out we didn't have a lot in common, and second I started constantly questioning am I sure I like her, or want to be in a relationship ect. Well I finally just broke it off and then I met, my current girlfriend. I was crazy about her since the first time we talked, and I was a little unsure though because I had never talked to her before. Well we text that entire day and then that night I called her and we talked for over 5 hours. I felt an connection like none other, literally. I still remember the feeling of warmness going through my body that night on the phone, I was happy. Then we decided we where gonna take things slow but start talking, we did so and thing where going good. We hung out a few times and things where amazing from the first time I saw her, I smiled and honestly felt intimidated cause she was so much prettier than me and I thought I didn't stand a chance. Well I loved talking to her but then I started getting anxious about asking her out, we had hung out for about 6-7 times over the course of 2 weeks and talking everyday. We constantly where kissing and loving on each other and I couldn't have felt happier with her. Then about 2 weeks after asking her out (4 weeks since first talking) I started having the same stupid doubts as the previous girl, like how do I know I like her? Is this going to be a good relationship? Am I happy with her? Am I faking all of this? How do I know? My mind latched onto it and wondered and wondered. I've had ups and downs through it all and when I first imagined her with someone else I got upset, and when she would mention something that a guy may have tried to flirt with her at school ect. Well my OCD symptoms slowly got worse and I started to spiral more and more out of control. I went to a therapist again (I'd seen a few previously ever since I was 5 for other OCD symptoms) and his diagnosis was I was suffering from intrusive thoughts as these thoughts where always distressing me. It's almost to our 2 months anniversary and my ROCD is making my life miserable and I feel like I'll never get out of this state of constant depression and doubting. I honestly feel like this is ROCD because of the fact it had ruined a previous relationship and the fact that anytime I'm conscious I'm worrying about it. Another thing is I have constant nightmares of her leaving me and me begging for her back or that she cheats on me and it tears me apart. Because of this ROCD is has made me become almost emotionless to anyone and everything. I constantly feel sad and I just feel hopeless. The thing is if I didn't care about her it'd be soo easy just to break it off with her and move on but the thing is deep down I know I love her and that I'm connected to her. I couldn't ever hurt her, ever. I love her too much and it'd kill me to let her go, honestly I'd cry my eyes out. I just don't understand why I can't feel happy and un-anxious again and quit questioning my emotions. When I'm around her I'm always subconsciously smiling and I notice it and question it all the time. Any help?
Old 09-05-2012, 06:15 PM

I'm trying to spread the word about neuropsychiatrist, Dr. Low's Self-Help system, peer-led, no fee required, forums throughout the country. the utmost in CBT, www.LowSelfHelpSystems.org, ph 312-337-5661. 866-221-0302 to find a group in your town.